Thursday, June 21, 2007

What's Small?

We worked together in the garden this solstice. Charlie is a vigorous thinner of carrot seedlings. We're actually getting enough mixed baby greens for salads every day now, and the beans are sprouting out of the 3 sisters garden. Summer comes right on schedule here.

In one of the Curious George stories we've been reading this week George is frustrated by being small and dreams about growing big. Charlie kept asking, "What's small, Mammoo?" I have tried many ways of explaining "small", all of which leave Charlie looking vaguely skeptical.

Today at the grocery store Charlie was standing next to me in the check-out, then started to slowly edge away. "I right back, Mammoo," he assured me. "I right back" usually means "Don't follow me because you might stop me from doing what I want to do." I picked him up, gave him a cuddle, and said, "I know you'd like to explore, but I need you to stay with me so I can keep you safe." He sighed, put his head on my shoulder, and said, "I small, Mammoo."

Small but growing every day, my monkey.

0 comments: